Heaxgaon A Hexagon

Forums

The Marvel Heroes Omega Servers for the PlayStation 4 is back up with Patch 1.04a! Thank you for your patience and enjoy the game.

What I've Learned About Crafting

polarbearking10polarbearking10 Almost home of the Asgardians pre-Fear ItselfPosts: 150 Incredible
edited May 10 in ITEMS AND CRAFTING

So, I have maxed all three of the crafters and learned a lot more about crafting, so I have updated the post. I know that a lot of people are confused about the crafters, so I figure I will offer what knowledge I've gained so far.

In Marvel Heroes Omega, there are three crafters and one shop.

The shop, called Quartermaster, is different because he does not require materials, only currency for his transactions. Each slot in his store can only be purchased once. If you see a bundle of three spare parts, you can only purchase it the one time. But, you can press the refresh button and his stock will be renewed. The refresh has 3 charges and each charge has a 30 minute cooldown. Because of this, we will probably be visiting the Quartermaster quite frequently. However, like the crafters he must be leveled up. Increasing his level seems to increase the number of items he offers per refresh. At max he has about 29-31 purchasable slots. Here's the items which Quartermaster offers:

• Common Crafting Materials (like cloth, magnetic materials etc.)
  • Certificate of Prestige (allows you to reset a character to level 1 for some rewards)
  • A "Modification Installation Kit" (costs 100 odin marks and used for powerful recipes, explained in the scientist section)
  • Research Materials (I'll explain these in the R&D section)

The Engineer is the next crafter. He is important because he can transform some of your materials into the next tier of material. I will create a separate post soon which will cover crafting materials in detail. Basically though, common materials will drop frequently from enemies, but uncommon and rare are much tougher to find as drops, so you will rely on purchasing or crafting these materials. For this reason I recommend maxing EITHER your quartermaster or your engineer first so that you have easy access to these materials.

• Material Crafting Recipes (He can transform your materials into new materials. Magic!)
  • Several Artifacts (SHIELD Training Manuals, Bannertech Adrenalizers and Accelerators, etc.)
  • He can also craft accessories, upper and lower body armor, utilities, and weapons (gear slots 1-5). He offers these recipes in rare (light blue), heroic (dark blue), and super-heroic (purple).

The Scientist is the replacement for the enchanter from the PC version. She offers really powerful buffs to your equipment for steep fees. "But wait!" I hear you protest, "Gaz said they weren't going to have Uru-forged!" Too true. So here's how it works now:

• Enhancements. The scientist can add a buff to one of your items. The buffs she can apply depend on the gear you are enhancing.

• Utility armor (gear slot 3) receives the most significant buffs (the equivalent of old enchantments). For example: Burstein Gene Therapy grants +defense, +health, +durability, and reduce enemies attack speed by 40% when they hit you. These enhancements require a "Modification Installation Kit" from the quartermaster which costs 100 odin marks, so these are a real investment.
    • The enhancements she offers for other gear is much less impressive. They are improvements like +5-20 spirit or +50-200 health. Also, these minor enhancements are only for slots 2 and 4, upper and lower body armor.
    • The roll on the minor enhancements is based on item level, so at level 60 you will always receive the max roll from these minor enhancements. The Major enhancements (utility armor/slot 3) are rolled. May RNGesus guide, guard, and protect you.
  • She can place modifications on your artifacts. These boosts are pretty potent, though less powerful than the utility armor enhancements. They also require a "Modification Installation Kit." However, they will automatically achieve a max roll as long as the artifact is level 42 or above.

• She can reroll a few types of gear. For instance she can reroll the values on cosmic gear.
  • Also, she can unbind your crap though it looks like we will have to obtain a material called "Matrix of Unbinding" from the cash shop in order to use this recipe.

The final crafter is called the Research and Development Analyst. Let's just call her the Analyst. Her job is quite different from the other three. She takes research materials (brown in color) and uses them to craft boxes (called research projects) which grant xp to your other crafters. These projects can also obtain materials and reportedly "rare blueprints." However, in the dev live stream it was confirmed that these rare blueprints are not in the game currently, so I still have no idea what kind of blueprints this would unlock, though I imagine it would include more craftable artifacts. She cannot be donated to and does not have a level. Also, her materials don't seem to drop from normal play. Pretty much you have to purchase them from the Quartermaster.

• She offers level 1 research for Scientist, Engineer, and Quartermaster for 5 copies of the respective material and 8,000 credits. This level of project grants 10,000 crafter xp
  • Level 2 costs 12 copies and costs 20,000 credits. It grants 25,000 crafter xp and drops materials every time.
  • Level 3 costs 25 copies and costs 35,000 credits. It gives 50,000 crafter xp and drops noticeably more materials.

Conclusion

Use the Analyst to level your crafters!
The Analyst is basically a credit-xp transfer system. The cost of a research material is 400 creds, so the cost of the materials plus the recipe is equal to the amount of crafter xp you will be gaining. So you aren't losing anything by selling your gear and going through the Analyst and you will be gaining some materials and a chance at those "rare blueprints." Once a crafter is max leveled, those research projects are a HUGE rip-off because you aren't getting any crafter xp, so if you want those rare blueprints you are going to be really sacrificing if you didn't just level via the projects.

Visit the Quartermaster to buy research materials constantly!
Here's the issue with the Analyst: the quartermaster will only ever sell you one bundle of each research material per refresh. Thus it will take you a lot of trips to get each project. Also, with the Analyst there is no reason not to work on all three crafters at the same time and if you don't purchase all the research materials you see, you will regret it later.

Equip a Kingpin medallion!
This made crafter leveling very easy for me because every enemy you defeat has a chance to drop a case of money worth 5,000 to donate or sell. The best chance I've seen on a medallion was 5% which worked very well.

Even though I told you to level all your crafters through the Analyst, you are still probably going to be donating because leveling through the Analyst alone will take you a long time. So, I'm going to still offer advice about which crafters to focus on first:

Max either Quartermaster or Engineer first!
You will need the rare materials they offer to use the Scientist who makes the cool stuff. If you are new to the game or aren't confident yet, I think the Engineer should be your first crafter goal. Max him out and use him to craft some super-heroic gear and artifacts before you go try out your super-heroic trial. Alternatively, if you know the game well, you will probably be in super-heroic well before level 60 and would be wasting your time crafting super-heroic gear. The quartermaster offers the same materials, but much more hassle-free, so I think he is just as good a choice to max first.

Max your Scientist second!
The Scientist is the most important crafter, but not until the end-game. Her enhancements are going to be integral to surviving cosmic difficulty, but you probably won't want to use her enhancements until you have cosmic gear that you are quite happy with. Don't be afraid to use her rerolling services a lot. Hopefully we will have data on max stat values soon so that we can make better use of the rerolling recipes, but I wouldn't shy away from it for now.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you spotted something that I am incorrect about. I will make a materials guide soon, so be on the lookout for that.

Comments

• TorjugaTorjuga Posts: 1 New Agent

Thanks for putting that together. I haven't played around with it yet but is there a tutorial for Crafting?
    I just started to play last night and only level 13.

• polarbearking10polarbearking10 Almost home of the Asgardians pre-Fear ItselfPosts: 150 Incredible

@Torjuga said:
    Thanks for putting that together. I haven't played around with it yet but is there a tutorial for Crafting?
    I just started to play last night and only level 13.

No tutorial yet. That's part of the reason I felt like I needed to post this. They just changed crafting a bit, so I'll edit the post soon.

• DeadpoolTheFirstAvengerDeadpoolTheFirstAvenger Super-Soldier Posts: 55 Mighty

The level 3 research project grants 50,000 XP for the vendor you purchase it for.

• polarbearking10polarbearking10 Almost home of the Asgardians pre-Fear ItselfPosts: 150 Incredible

@DeadpoolTheFirstAvenger said:
    The level 3 research project grants 50,000 XP for the vendor you purchase it for.

I want to do more research before editing the main post, but each research material costs 408 credits and the cost to craft the research project is 8k, 20k, and 40k for the three levels. If you add the cost of the materials to the cost of the recipe itself, the number of credits you spend is equal to the amount of xp you get.

I suppose it is neat that they gave us a way to transfer credits into crafter xp, (I wish it was better than 1:1, but beggars can't be choosers) but I expected more from this Analyst. It seems awfully convoluted for just a credit to xp launderer. Here is my fear though: the analyst recipes state that they can unlock blueprints for the crafters. What if these blueprints are valuable/important? I have checked and if you have already maxed a crafter, then use a project on that crafter, there is no discount or bonus, you have simply wasted that crafter xp.

I don't know, but maybe the best way to level crafters now is to SELL items instead of donate them and use the money to do research projects. Hopefully by the time the crafters are max level you will have unlocked those bonus blueprints too.

• DeadpoolTheFirstAvengerDeadpoolTheFirstAvenger Super-Soldier Posts: 55 Mighty

@polarbearking10 said:

I want to do more research before editing the main post, but each research material costs 408 credits and the cost to craft the research project is 8k, 20k, and 40k for the three levels. If you add the cost of the materials to the cost of the recipe itself, the number of credits you spend is equal to the amount of xp you get.

I suppose it is neat that they gave us a way to transfer credits into crafter xp, (I wish it was better than 1:1, but beggars can't be choosers) but I expected more from this Analyst. It seems awfully convoluted for just a credit to xp launderer. Here is my fear though: the analyst recipes state that they can unlock blueprints for the crafters. What if these blueprints are valuable/important? I have checked and if you have already maxed a crafter, then use a project on that crafter, there is no discount or bonus, you have simply wasted that crafter xp.

I don't know, but maybe the best way to level crafters now is to SELL items instead of donate them and use the money to do research projects. Hopefully by the time the crafters are max level you will have unlocked those bonus blueprints too.

@polarbearking10 said:

That is my thought, too. Use the research vendor to buy the projects and level the vendors so you don't waste anything. If you need any help testing the crafters for anything, one of us using the research projects and one of us using donating only or something like that to see after 5 or 10 levels if anything isn't unlocked, hit me up with a PM.

• RainbirdRainbird Covert Stuck in an Alabama Hot PocketPosts: 22 Mighty

Very informative post, the in-game crafting help is awful. Thanks for all the work :)

• TanthalasTanthalas Posts: 273 Amazing

@polarbearking10

Thanks for doing all the research on this.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

• phractalsphractals Knighted PhiladelphiaPosts: 97 Mighty

Just maxed out the quartermaster and seems like everything is the same. Am I missing something? Checked prices a couple of times while leveling him to see if maybe items were getting cheaper, but that was not the case. Maybe he is just still in development.

PSN ID: subaru420, really wish I could change it

@phractals said:
    Just maxed out the quartermaster and seems like everything is the same. Am I missing something? Checked prices a couple of times while leveling him to see if maybe items were getting cheaper, but that was not the case. Maybe he is just still in development.

I noticed him offering uncommon, then rare materials, but that was back at level 6 and now I've got him to level 9 and his stock is the same, so I'm wondering if the change I noticed wasn't him leveling, but the shift into patch 1.02 crafting. I do think he gets more "slots" from which he sells stuff. As in greater number of batches sold on refresh. But, I am not certain of that because I didn't start counting until recently.

• phractalsphractals Knighted PhiladelphiaPosts: 97 Mighty

As he stands,I am going to save him for last once we go live

PSN ID: subaru420, really wish I could change it

@phractals said:
    As he stands,I am going to save him for last once we go live

Could be best. He isn't too important because you can craft any of the uncommon and rare materials at the engineer. The only thing you need from the quartermaster are the research materials which you can grab from him at level 1.

• AsrosAsros Gazillion Posts: 39 Staff

Great post! Have pinned it at the top to help new players.

If there are specific questions about any of it, please let me know and I can help!

There is a crafting tutorial coming in open beta.

Brian Waggoner - Game/Systems Designer

Twitter - Asros

@phractals said:

The quartermaster gains a new item slot with each level. So as he levels, with each refresh, he will have more items to sell. Prices do not change, but that is good feedback.

Twitter - Asros

@Rainbird said:
    Very informative post, the in-game crafting help is awful. Thanks for all the work :)

This is also getting revamped in open beta.

Twitter - Asros

• arcatharcath Pro Founder GermanyPosts: 163 Incredible

@polarbearking10

Thank you very much for the hard work and write up.

• MisterJiMMisterJiM EarthquakelandPosts: 39 Mighty

Thanks for the tutorial. For a guy like me who haven't played the game since last year i was really confused about this new crafters.

Meow!
    Lvl 60: Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Iron Man
    If you have any advice for cosmic trial just let me know!

• DasShugoDasShugo Posts: 117 Incredible

You've saved me a lot of time helping friends with crafting. I've just been sending them this link instead :D

Your shoe is untied

• FahadFahad Probably at workPosts: 340 Amazing

Questions from a noob:
    -what is the max level for each crafter/seller?
    -is there something to do with unwanted item/equipment after maxing out all crafters other than destroying?
    Little Off topic Questions:
    -I prestiged a character, is my ability/stats equivalent to non-prestiged Level 1 ?
    -I have level 60 fully equipped, then I prestiged, can I use my level 60 Items? or do I have to use level 1 items again?
    Thank you

• DrazharDrazhar Wallcrawler Posts: 81 Mighty

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks @polarbearking10 . This will be of great help to many players.

I'd figured most of this out on my own during closed beta, but it's good to have all that info in one place, and was curious who most people are maxing first.

I have yet to log in for the Open Beta early access phase, but I really do hope the crafters are explained in great detail in game.

The importance of said crafters (especially the R&D one) will easily be lost on the majority of the playerbase otherwise, I'd assume. If the intended design of the R&D crafter is to sell items and buy the research for example, this should be spelled out to the player. I didn't pick up on this until quite late in the leveling process on closed beta.

Also, did the 'rare blueprints' from Research get implemented in time for Open Beta @Asros ? I don't recall seeing anything in the patch notes about them.

@Fahad said:

Oddly enough, I'm not sure. Once you hit max it doesn't give you a number anymore, it just reads "level: MAX." I think it is 12-15 though. Asros said something about raising the max levels and adding new recipes over time, so that is only the max for now.

-is there something to do with unwanted item/equipment after maxing out all crafters other than destroying?

Sell them for credits at the quartermaster. This should be what you do from beginning of the game through the end. Personally, I would not donate any items; only level crafters through the Analyst. But if you want to level your crafters more quickly donate ~33% of your equipment and sell the rest. You will need a LOT of credits for many of these crafting recipes for end-game, so credits are quite important.

-I prestiged a character, is my ability/stats equivalent to non-prestiged Level 1 ?

Yes

-I have level 60 fully equipped, then I prestiged, can I use my level 60 Items? or do I have to use level 1 items again?

You have to use level 1 items. This make large storage pretty important if you want to prestige because you will be putting all your max level gear in there until you hit 60 again.

@Drazhar said:
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks @polarbearking10 . This will be of great help to many players.

I'd figured most of this out on my own during closed beta, but it's good to have all that info in one place, and was curious who most people are maxing first.

I appreciate the encouragement. And I'm going to level them at approximately the same speed because I'm going refrain from donating at all. I may report back about the general speed of this tactic if I feel like it is noteworthy.

Also, did the 'rare blueprints' from Research get implemented in time for Open Beta @Asros ? I don't recall seeing anything in the patch notes about them.

Yeah, I'm not purchasing research projects until the blueprints are confirmed. I would still stock up on research materials, just don't use them in recipes yet. Also, his estimate was that scientist one wouldn't make it in until the patch after Open Beta launch. So, again, I wouldn't craft research projects yet.

Thank you so much @polarbearking10 :)

@polarbearking10 said:

@Drazhar said:

I appreciate the encouragement. And I'm going to level them at approximately the same speed because I'm going refrain from donating at all. I may report back about the general speed of this tactic if I feel like it is noteworthy.

Yeah, I'm not purchasing research projects until the blueprints are confirmed. I would still stock up on research materials, just don't use them in recipes yet. Also, his estimate was that scientist one wouldn't make it in until the patch after Open Beta launch. So, again, I wouldn't craft research projects yet.

Rare engineer blueprints are in. Scientist coming in our next major update.

Twitter - Asros

edited May 19

Max level for crafters and vendors is 20.

There is an in game tutorial now for crafting that becomes available after first completion of the raft. Head to the research analyst in avengers tower. There is also much more detailed in the help section. Options > help > crafting.

Twitter - Asros

Thank you @Asros

• DavinDaLilAznDavinDaLilAzn Posts: 27 Mighty
    edited May 19

@polarbearking10 said:

@Fahad said:

Oddly enough, I'm not sure. Once you hit max it doesn't give you a number anymore, it just reads "level: MAX." I think it is 12-15 though. Asros said something about raising the max levels and adding new recipes over time, so that is only the max for now.

Sell them for credits at the quartermaster. This should be what you do from beginning of the game through the end. Personally, I would not donate any items; only level crafters through the Analyst. But if you want to level your crafters more quickly donate ~33% of your equipment and sell the rest. You will need a LOT of credits for many of these crafting recipes for end-game, so credits are quite important.

Yes

You have to use level 1 items. This make large storage pretty important if you want to prestige because you will be putting all your max level gear in there until you hit 60 again.

@polarbearking10 I'm a bit confused. I understand this is still all in works, but am I suppose to level up Engineering/Quartermaster first OR am I suppose to just vendor everything at the QM?

*update I re-read a TLDR on Reddit and understand now. Vendor everything and use Analysts from R&D to level up crafting, correct?

• DrazharDrazhar Wallcrawler Posts: 81 Mighty

@Asros said:
    Max level for crafters and vendors is 20.

There is an in game tutorial now for crafting that becomes available after first completion of the raft. Head to the research analyst in avengers tower. There is also much more detailed in the help section. Options > help > crafting.

Checking that out now. She gives you a free research box which contained a recipe for 'Extremis Serum'. Is this one of the rare recipes? Or something everyone gets from this quest?

Also, should we hold off leveling the Scientist then until the rare recipes are implemented? Or is there a plan to give the recipes to people with a max level crafter?

@polarbearking10 I'm a bit confused. I understand this is still all in works, but am I suppose to level up Engineering/Quartermaster first OR am I suppose to just vendor everything at the QM?

I would vendor everything and use the analyst exclusively to maximize your odds of unlocking the rare recipes. But, that would be slower than donating in addition to using the analyst. If you are going to donate, I would focus your donations on the Quartermaster since he doesn't have any special research project recipes like the engineer does.

@polarbearking10 said:

Equip a Kingpin medallion!
    This made crafter leveling very easy for me because every enemy you defeat has a chance to drop a case of money worth 5,000 to donate or sell. The best chance I've seen on a medallion was 5% which worked very well.

I checked, and the case is worth 1,000 Credits.