Heaxgaon A Hexagon

Forums

Marvel Heroes Omega
The Marvel Heroes Omega PlayStation 4 servers are now back online! Thank you for your patience.
The Marvel Heroes Omega Xbox One servers are now back online! Thank you for your patience.

Answering all Iron Man related questions.

DeanJonezDeanJonez Posts: 81 Mighty

Hey there lads and lasses.

My name is Dean, or PlowingPig in MHO. I've been addicted to this game, and especially to playing Iron Man since launch on pc.

I've noticed that too many people feel like IM is a 'weak character', while I am slicing through cosmic no questions asked.

Iron Man is too fun a character, and can be played in too many awesome ways for this confusion amongst the community to stand, so please do ask me anything that is unclear about Iron Man, or any other aspect of the game for that matter, and I'll make sure your question in answered correctly by either me, or if I find myself at a loss, by one of the other veteran players I know.

xDean

Comments

• GorsmokeGorsmoke Covert PaPosts: 9 Mighty

I main iron man aswell...im just trying to figure out where to use my Infinity points...where do you put it points at ?..i run energy build btw

• FuriousMidgettFuriousMidgett Stark-Tech Stark TowerPosts: 13 Mighty

As a fellow Iron Man main from the PC days I'm happy to see I'm not alone! I'm destroying cosmics with absolutely no issue on XBOX ONE! Still leveling that Cosmic Control Rod though. Haha.

Bang for the buck, I'm investing my Infinity Points into spirit. More damage and more up-time for powers. Though I am going to start getting into health on hit as a little Raid prep.

I TOLD YOU. I DON’T WANT TO JOIN YOUR SUPER-SECRET BOY BAND.

• DeanJonezDeanJonez Posts: 81 Mighty

@FuriousMidgett @Gorsmoke

Great to hear that you main Iron-Man as well.

To be honest I do not think you will need the health on hit. On my Iron man, it takes me about half a second to go from almost dead to full health, even without using a health pack or Arc Reactor overload. I do, however, think it is beneficial to get Magik's Synergy, since that one actually gives you a lot of health on hit. The spirit on Infinity points is quite good, but I believe that once you have better gear, around 100-110% base damage will be more than enough. Once you get around 4k crit/3kbrutstrike and 7-10k critdamage and 6-9k brutdamage I would begin stacking spirit or base damage again, but other than that I feel like the increase in crit/brut will be so easy to acquire that it is worth it. Don't stack your infinity points in critdamage or brutdamage if you have less than 7k of either, because it is a percentage increase.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

• brad2240brad2240 Posts: 317 Amazing

My Iron Man feels exceedingly squishy. How much do you invest in defensive stats and what's your Effective Health and Damage Reduction?

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off." -Captain America

@brad2240

I spend absolutely nothing on Damage Reduction, as I am running a Ranged Energy build.

My stats on defensives are:

29k health
    29% damage reduction
    774 Defense
    29% defense rating multiplier.
    1200 deflect rating
    0 dodge rating
    10% dodge rating multiplier
    0% plus 664/s Health Regen
    49 Health on hit

I do have the cosmic bonus on my weapon: 8% chance when you attack to become invulnerable for 4 seconds, but this is on a 25 second cooldown, so fair is fair, that doesn't help you much.
    Keep in mind that I am currently levelling my CCR, which is level 2 at the moment, so I will gain 2k more health with that.

I do not feel like I need any more defense, sure you can be one hit if you stand still in some ' Red' on the ground, but you can just get out of the way from that, and Iron Man is quite mobile, and his signature makes you invulnerable while it is being cast. Using this to your advantage you can stand still even more in some of the ' Red'.

If you do happen to find yourself low, use Arc Reactor Overload with the second tier talent 'Extremis Healing Nanites', which basically gives you another healthpack. I think this is the go to talent to go for anyway, because you don't want to waste extra suit power on the top talent, and you don't want to lose 100 suit power on the second.

If you need further help, please let me know.

xDean

@DeanJonez said:
    @brad2240

I spend absolutely nothing on Damage Reduction, as I am running a Ranged Energy build.

My stats on defensives are:

29k health
    29% damage reduction
    774 Defense
    29% defense rating multiplier.
    1200 deflect rating
    0 dodge rating
    10% dodge rating multiplier
    0% plus 664/s Health Regen
    49 Health on hit

Wow, my numbers are much higher than yours and yet I find myself randomly getting one-shotted by things my other heroes survive all the time. I don't stand in the red, assuming I can see it (lookin' at you, Midtown) I just...die. It's frustrating, and one of the reasons I put IM on the shelf for the time being.

I do use ARO with the Talent. I'm so jealous, I wish War Machine's Built for War was as good. :(

You think he's mobile? I think he's pretty static as a Ranged/Energy Build. I used a build for the trials that had some mobility to it but it's not my choice for general play. To be fair, though, most ranged builds in this game seem static to me.

Thanks for the answers.

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off." -Captain America

@brad2240

The reason I say IM is mobile is that once you get him geared up you dont have to stand still for more than 2 seconds to melt everything that is on the screen in the current state of the game. This might chance once Omega level comes out, but at this point I have no problems at all. Don't forget, a dead goon doesn't hurt you, so imo offence is the best defence in this case.

Try to keep dashing around in between stuff like your signature and Micro Lasers and unibeam. Standing still too long will get you killed on any hero that is a bit more squishy than others (which I don't deny IM is, I'm just saying I don't have any problems with it).

If you want to be on the move all the time with Iron man you could try an explosive built where you use Micro Missiles as your spender, get the 3 charges of it, get the DoT on Wrist Rocket, and get the Bow Legendary. It is not quite as strong as the energy build, because you can't just stack energy damage, but it's the way I started playing IM and it's actually how I got through the cosmic trial with no trouble at all. The only time you will be standing still is to cast your signature, unibeam and wristrocket, which is really cool.

Hope this helps you out.

• A2SpecterZeroA2SpecterZero Posts: 23 Mighty

What is a good base damage to aim for?

@A2SpecterZero

For the base damage percentage, I prefer to be anywhere between 100 and 120%, aiming close to 120.

Wow that low huh, I came into this game thinking that the higher the base the better... I have char way over 200% but I'm learning that I am sacrificing a lot of crit/brut... wow guess I'll be regearing my fav char now...

@A2SpecterZero

Don't get me wrong, the more Base damage the better, but I feel like 110-120 is achievable with the current gear in game, without sacrificing CDR/CSR BSR/BDR, both strike rating should be around 3.5-4k and the damage ratings around 8k at this point, and the rest should be stacked in Base, but that is for most heroes.

Some heroes, like Angela, have 100% brutal strike rating on some of their big hits, so stack brutal damage rating on those, and go easy on the brutal strike rating, and maybe even on critstrike/damage.

Thanks for the info, seems to be getting similar answers the more I research.

@DeanJonez a couple more questions.

First, what cosmic artifacts are you using for the Ranged/Energy build? I was thinking Gem of the Kursed and Black Tom's stick but I'm not sure for the third one.

Second, here's the skills I use:
    Repulsor Barrage
    Satellite Strike
    Microlasers
    Unibeam
    Micro Missiles
    Arc Reactor Overload
    One-Off

As you can see Micro Missiles is the odd one out here. I've seen others suggest Coolant Blast for CC but I felt another damage skill was needed, even if it isn't supported by the rest of the build. Would you recommend something different in that slot?

edited July 17

@brad2240

You could run Repulsor Spray in stead of Micro Missiles. I use Micro missiles because I think they are really cool, and they DO help with single target damage. No cc needed from Coolant Blast IMO, so your build is fine.

I Use a GoK, Nine Heads and Kree Hyper Optics, but to be honest the ps4 artifacts confuse me so much since I can't see all my percentages and all that. I'd say Toms or Hand of Doom would be better for me to use in stead of Kree or Nine Heads, so for you as well, since our build are quite the same.

Edit

Switched Nine heads for Sinisters Diamond, feel like it is better

If anyone else would like to pitch in on the Cosmic Artifact discussion, that would be great.

@DeanJonez said:
    @brad2240

You could run Repulsor Spray in stead of Micro Missiles. I use Micro missiles because I think they are really cool, and they DO help with single target damage. No cc needed from Coolant Blast IMO, so your build is fine.

I Use a GoK, Nine Heads and Kree Hyper Optics, but to be honest the ps4 artifacts confuse me so much since I can't see all my percentages and all that. I'd say Toms or Hand of Doom would be better for me to use in stead of Kree or Nine Heads, so for you as well, since our build are quite the same.

Edit

Switched Nine heads for Sinisters Diamond, feel like it is better

I didn't even think about Sinister's Diamond even though I was recommending it to someone for Scarlet Witch a little earlier. facepalm

Hand of Doom has been the bane of my existence lately, trying to get one for Captain Marvel. I've given up farming the Doom op for it and hoping to get one to drop from the Doombot encounter in Midtown. I think I'll go for something else for IM.

• GorsmokeGorsmoke Covert PaPosts: 9 Mighty

I run energy build..and I use cosmic curse..cosmic black toms and right now cargills rewrite..trying for hand of doom and I'll be set

@brad2240 @Gorsmoke

Seems like both of you have good picks for artifacts. IMO Doom/GoK/Black Toms is the best combination, but there might be some Ultron drops that are worth farming too. I haven't seen those in game yet, so I am not sure.

• BookEmDano82BookEmDano82 Posts: 28 Mighty
    edited July 18

Ive only been in this game a few weeks (XBONE).. but IM has been my main primarily.. i run micromissles on X, jericho on Y, dash on B, repulsor blast on A. Then One Off on LT X, Unibeam on LT Y, DeathFromAbove on LT B and Coolant Blast on LT A. Talents wise i use unstable core, extremis nanites, ugrade orbital interface, ugrade armor hydralics, and upgrade repulsors.

I drop jericho first to start the 10% damage buff, then death from above, coolant blast to lock in place.. then one off to finish trash mobs. I then rotate with repulsor blast and micromissles/jericho and jet slam/coolant blast until one off is up again. I run Crossbones artifact for the extra +3 Energy crit hit and brut hit, Hand of Doom for +2 Int/Eng and crit hit/brut hit as well and The Nine Heads for +3 Int/Eng..and MKraan Crystal for the suit power and health. Legendary is at lvl 2 right now. All in all im pretty satisfied with my IronMan build thus far. I have 2349 crit hit, 5838 crit dmg, 2419 brut strk and 4884 brut dmg.. +100% base dmg. Need to find a better medallion. One i get my Leg to rank four i can get a bit more base damage in there.

Edit: just got a max roll NineHeads artifact from a shield package

@BookEmDano82

Seems like a fun build, and the choice of Mkraan for it was good as well. Keep in mind that a full on Energy build with the CCR will give you more damage, which might be needed when Omega hits, but if you like this one it is fine.

• hazzMAThazzMAT Posts: 156 Incredible

@DeanJonez said:
    Hey there lads and lasses.

My name is Dean, or PlowingPig in MHO. I've been addicted to this game, and especially to playing Iron Man since launch on pc.

I've noticed that too many people feel like IM is a 'weak character', while I am slicing through cosmic no questions asked.

Iron Man is too fun a character, and can be played in too many awesome ways for this confusion amongst the community to stand, so please do ask me anything that is unclear about Iron Man, or any other aspect of the game for that matter, and I'll make sure your question in answered correctly by either me, or if I find myself at a loss, by one of the other veteran players I know.

xDean

Good job stepping up. I definitely see way too many people hating on iron man and I try to help whenever I can. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on gear however.

Keep up the good work.

@brad2240 said:
    @DeanJonez a couple more questions.

First, what cosmic artifacts are you using for the Ranged/Energy build? I was thinking Gem of the Kursed and Black Tom's stick but I'm not sure for the third one.

Second, here's the skills I use:
    Repulsor Barrage
    Satellite Strike
    Microlasers
    Unibeam
    Micro Missiles
    Arc Reactor Overload
    One-Off

As you can see Micro Missiles is the odd one out here. I've seen others suggest Coolant Blast for CC but I felt another damage skill was needed, even if it isn't supported by the rest of the build. Would you recommend something different in that slot?

Brad if you do sub in coolant blast it literally fits in perfect with my rotation. I use the missile talent in the first tier to get my missile fix in.

My rotation is SS, CB, OO, then microlasers and unibeam. Then SS, CB, ARO then back to microlasers and unibeam and repeat. I use repulsor barrage to fill in the gaps although you could use repulsor blast as well (they're nearly identical). That crowd control for me is pretty key for clearing trash mobs in cosmic but as I said it just fits perfectly with my rotation.

edited July 18

@HazmatMatt

You can try to use microlasers on the first pack, which with my gear oneshots them anyway, and then use coolant blast-arc reactor overload and Unibeam on the second, which kills them as well, this way you can keep rotating that, using your signature on the really big packs, and run through the cosmic terminals the fastest way possible.

Oh and by the way, Repulsor blast and repulsor barrage are not even close to each other. Sure, damage wise they might be, but Barrage gives you way more Life on Hit return, and later on, once you get the procs on CCR it gives you way more procs on that as well, simply because there are so many hits.

I feel with one off being only 15 secs I have no problem firing it in my rotation each group. My gear isn't that elite yet so I'm not one shotting mobs yet.

As for repulsors I suppose that makes sense about barrage. I don't think I have any health on hit gear and my CCR is still only level one (I'm a pretty casual player) but I do use barrage anyways just for procs on the rest of my cosmic gear. You make an excellent point.

@DeanJonez said:
    @BookEmDano82

Seems like a fun build, and the choice of Mkraan for it was good as well. Keep in mind that a full on Energy build with the CCR will give you more damage, which might be needed when Omega hits, but if you like this one it is fine.

Forgive my noob question.. but ive seen 'CCR' posted a few times. Definition please?

@BookEmDano82 said:

Forgive my noob question.. but ive seen 'CCR' posted a few times. Definition please?

Cosmic Control Rod, a Legendary item that's great for builds using a lot of Energy powers.

Ah yes..i debated on whether to get that as my legendary or MKrann

@BookEmDano82

If you like the energy build choose the cosmic control rod. You could go Mkraan if you want to play a melee build (which I don't recommend) or explosive build in the future, and don't want to level 2 legendaries for the same Hero, but to be fair, CCR might still be better with the explosive build because of your spender, unibeam and the one off

edited July 19

What do you guys think about the Improved Arc Reactor artifact available from the Engineering crafter?

300-500 Spirit (Suit Power)
    1-3% damage vs. Bosses
    1-5% less damage from enemy Energy powers

If you need the suit power it's great. I currently use the cybernetic implant which gives me 279 spirit I believe. Along with the rest of my gear and a ring of Jordan I have more than enough spirit.

What about the damage from that extra suit power? Not worth it?