Heaxgaon A Hexagon

Forums

Marvel Heroes Omega

Forget about cosmic trail, I can’t even pass super heroic?!!

PeppiPeppi Posts: 24 Mighty
edited October 22 in CYCLOPS

What am I doing wrong guys? I’m fairly new to the game and cyclops is my only level 60 character.

I’ve had fun with him up until the super heroic trial, where I keep getting k.o’d before the bosses even appear?

I’ve tried tony’s Build for cosmic trial but it just isn’t working for me. What do I need to do?

He’s equiped with two lower level cosmic items and the rest are level 60 heroic items. Do I need to try and find better equipment from drops?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• csangels1128csangels1128 Posts: 221 Amazing

It can be hard to say without knowing exactly what's going on. I'll try to shotgun blast some general stuff.

You take high damage in trials. The heroic trial isn't bad at all, but once you start running super heroic and up, it starts to get serious. While the bosses can hit hard, it's the robots that melt you.

First, make sure you aren't getting hit by avoidable damage. Also, don't dash too early. I made that mistake when I was newer to them, and would run out of dashes and die. Most of them you can just move out of, and save your dashes for emergencies.

As for unavoidable damage, you need your gear and build to keep you alive. You might not have enough defensive stats on your gear. Also you might need to swap around infinity points and synergies to boost your defense. They make it really easy to do that in this game, which I appreciate.

As a newer player, you might also be falling victim to what I did, which is taking the game's recommendations for gear. Unfortunately, those recommendations are based solely on the general values of the stats, and do not take the character or build into account. A big one is having the wrong defensive stat. On your inventory page, there is an option to bring up your stats. That will show you a percentage bonus for defense, deflect, and dodge. The bigger the number, the more you get out of equipping that stat. There are diminishing returns, but I doubt that will be an issue for you yet.

I'm at work so let me get this up now and I can add more later.

• PeppiPeppi Posts: 24 Mighty

Thanks @csangels1128, I didn’t know about the stats thing! I played around with my gear and changed my game play up a lot, and hey presto, I won!

Only took me a heap of tries first but I did it!

It’s amazing what different gear and builds can do to change your odds in this game!

Still have a lot to learn in terms of synergies and infinity points. Don’t really get it? So far I have cyclops and night crawler synergies unlocked which is cool.

As for stats, my energy and intelligence are higher but the rest is quite low? Is it gear that effects stats?

Thanks for your help :)

I almost forgot to reply. Yeah, sometimes the smallest change makes the biggest difference.

I'll start with infinity points, as they are simple. Every time you earn experience on any character, you earn experience towards an infinity point. Your progress can be seen once you hit 60, and your xp bar turns blue. That is your infinity xp bar. These points can then be spent (and freely reset, which I often do with major gear changes) to boost different aspects of your character. When you've played a long time and have a ton of points, this is great for just improving your character overall, but for now just throw them into whatever you need the most. Often, I find this is my main resource (such as spirit), so I commonly use Deep Thought. Sometimes I go with Gravity Well if I'm having survivability issues. They are grouped by attribute (Intelligence, Strength, etc.), and each group will give you bonuses based on how many points you put into that group. Note that is the points you put in, not the ranks you get. For example, using rank 25 Deep thought will give you the 50 point bonus, since each rank costs 2 points.

Probably the biggest thing to know about synergies is that defensive synergies typically make a bigger impact than offensive ones. It might sound great to stack all of the +melee damage synergies on your melee character, especially since it's free. But you have to compare each synergy you take to what you're giving up. +2% melee damage isn't actually that noticeable. But 3% more health? That's a big deal.

It seems like many players have specific synergies they use for each character, but I honestly use them to modify my character based on need, and constantly swap them out. Because in a perfect world, and you could EXACTLY pick all of your stats from a pool, your goal is to have JUST enough defensive stats to survive, and then put the rest into offense.

You kind of have to make a call on what synergies you think you need, but I'll quickly point out some generally great ones.

The hulk is FANTASTIC for survivability, and probably provides the most value of any synergy. 6% health is a really big deal, especially at max level.

You have a great one in Nightcrawler. Getting a 4% boost to melee damage is fantastic for any melee character.

Blade can be good. The importance of attack speed highly varies by character, but health on hit is good.

I really like Daredevil for melee characters. You get 2% to melee damage AND 3% damage to all non-boss enemies.

Hawkeye is pretty good. Basically any character can benefit from movement speed and critical damage, so it's a decent general pick.

She-hulk is pretty good, as she gives you health and health regen.

Squirrel girl gives you 4% more damage to bosses. I don't always take this, but often will if the character doesn't have great single target dps. Especially if I'm farming Daily Bugle for legendary marks.

But obviously you have to pick what makes sense for the character. Rocket Racoon and Magik are great for summoners, Scarlet Witch is excellent for characters with dots, etc.

Finally, you always want to take any synergy that provides you with a primary attribute. It sounds like you
    might know at least a little about that, but let me go over it. Like with the defensive stats, every character has two attributes which are primary. Now every attribute provides some benefit, which can be offensive, defensive, or utility. For example, durability gives you extra health and defense, while fighting gives you crit rating and reduced damage from melee attacks.

Your attributes naturally go up as you level, but you can also get them on gear. These bonuses are pretty minor though, and because you can only get so much from gear, you always want to stack your primary attributes on gear, because each point in a primary attribute also improves your damage by 4%. (This is the equivalent of 160 damage rating). You might want to stack one attribute over the other for the general bonuses they apply (fighting is great), but both will give you the 4% and they stack. For cyclops, if you have 12 Energy and 20 Intelligence, for example, that means you do 120% additional damage (32 x 4). This bonus also shows up on your stats page as base damage.

Sorry that was long. I get talking and can't stop. And I probably missed a bunch of stuff. But maybe this will help.

• brad2240brad2240 Posts: 626 Amazing

@Peppi said:
    What am I doing wrong guys? I’m fairly new to the game and cyclops is my only level 60 character.

I’ve had fun with him up until the super heroic trial, where I keep getting k.o’d before the bosses even appear?

I have found that Cyclops's survivability is tied to his summons. Specifically, Magik gives you some protection and tanks for a little while, Iceman freezes enemies and Emma Frost taunts and CCs enemies. This all gives Cyke some much needed breathing room.

In the trials it's important to keep moving and that's hard for Cyclops because his beams generally root him in place to do damage. I would avoid using Focused Beam or Optic Beam for that reason. I found Ricochet Beam to work well, taking shots when I could. Most of your damage is going to come from your summons.

This also leaves Signature use in a tough spot since it roots you in place for 3 seconds. A trick you can do is to take the talent Optic Power in the second tier, this makes the Optic Devastation power stun enemies when fully charged. Use this before using your Signature so enemies won't kill you while channeling the Sig.

@Peppi said:
    As for stats, my energy and intelligence are higher but the rest is quite low? Is it gear that effects stats?

With each character you want to focus on their two primary attributes and pretty much ignore the rest. The minor benefits provided by the other stats are not worth the build space you'd devote to them. So for Cyclops you very much want his Energy and Intelligence stats to be higher, you're on the right track there.

Attributes alone won't carry a hero, though, you need to have some decent ratings in Critical Hit and Brutal Strike chance. As you're preparing for the Cosmic trial, I would say try to get roughly 1000-1500 in each of these. Critical Rating and Brutal Rating compete with Main Attributes for the same stat line on gear slots (meaning Weapon, Accessory, Upper, Lower and Utility slots) so you'll have to balance your equipment.

Also one very important thing to have in the trials, especially Comsic and higher, is stealth on medkit use. You can get this on a catalyst or from the Elektra medallion. If you haven't found a good catalyst, the medallion is a guaranteed drop from beating Elektra in story mode.

Good luck in the Cosmic trial and going forward with Cyclops. :)

"#NEVERJubilee"

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off." -Captain America

Wow! Thank you @csangels1128 and @brad2240, you have both been very concise and given me a lot to think about! I will take it slow trying to process it all. I understand what you’re saying but need to see it in game I think, to really get it.

As for synergies, do they only unlock if you own the character and get them past level 25 or something? In which case, being a mostly free player, it’s going to take ages to get them! I’m an xmen fan, so those will be the ones I unlock... albeit slowly!

I have just over 700 splinters and am thinking psylocke or gambit next as they’re favs. I have a large xp boost for gambit too.

@brad2240 said:
    Also one very important thing to have in the trials, especially Comsic and higher, is stealth on medkit use. You can get this on a catalyst or from the Elektra medallion. If you haven't found a good catalyst, the medallion is a guaranteed drop from beating Elektra in story mode.

Thank you! I have a cosmic genetic mutation catalyst, lvl req 39. It doesn’t give me stealth. Should I try find a heroic/super heroic lvl 60 one instead? Or go for the elektra medallion? Currently I have heroic lvl 60 magneto medallion...

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate everything you say :)

@Peppi said:
    As for synergies, do they only unlock if you own the character and get them past level 25 or something? In which case, being a mostly free player, it’s going to take ages to get them! I’m an xmen fan, so those will be the ones I unlock... albeit slowly!

I have just over 700 splinters and am thinking psylocke or gambit next as they’re favs. I have a large xp boost for gambit too.

Synergies come at levels 25 and 50, so yeah you have to unlock a character with splinters to get them.

I would recommend Gambit. Not only is he a great character but his lv 50 synergy is +1 Energy Atrribute so perfect for Cyclops and a couple of your other future X-men as well. Beast gives +1 Intelligence, Cyclops other Main Attribute, if you're interested.

I suggest just going to get the Elektra medallion, you know right where it is and you don't have to contend with RNG to give you what you want. When you're finished with it, you can stash it for use on your next character.

Speaking of medallions, I would get rid of that Magneto, it's not very good. Shocker and Mandarin medals are good for boosting your ranged damage if that's what you want.

"#NEVERJubilee"

"If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed, walk it off." -Captain America

edited October 25

Awesome! Will do @brad2240! I picked up mandarins medallion last night but it was only uncommon rarity, so I’ll try again for his or elektra’s.

I caved and bought 2100 g’s for 25% off too. I won’t make it a habit, but couldn’t resist lol

Would you recommend spending is on loot boxes, characters or what else?

Thanks

• DoubleHelixPS4DoubleHelixPS4 Posts: 110 Incredible

Id recommend characters personally but other ppl have more experience in the forum then me, but personally I think for bang for buck characters are ur best option, the apocalypse pack if u didn’t have the characters was a extremely good value even with the changes coming imo but was a bit pricey but u got 8k gaz points I believe too and 10 combo boosts, the 4 horsemen and all their enhanced costumes plus they were on omega tier... but in general loot boxes provide in my opinion nothing but cosmetics with costumes and maybe a few boosts, I never buy them and never will, id rather buy a new character i like that can extend my playing experience then have a new costume, id look into maybe getting one of the stronger characters in that are more straightforward to play so u can grind quicker and get more payout ingame is my suggestion @Peppi

@Peppi said:
    Awesome! Will do @brad2240! I picked up mandarins medallion last night but it was only uncommon rarity, so I’ll try again for his or elektra’s.

I caved and bought 2100 g’s for 25% off too. I won’t make it a habit, but couldn’t resist lol

Thanks

Probably upgrading storage and inventory. After that, it's kind of just what you're looking for. Loot boxes offer nice quality of life stuff, but nothing really that you need. But characters can be unlocked eventually with splinters.

@DoubleHelixPS4 the apocalypse pack did look mean, but I couldn’t justify the cost. I didn’t realise it came with 8000gs though and that makes it pretty good really!

@csangels1128 I see people saying storage a fair bit, but it just seems so boring lol! It would be nice to not have to visit vendors so often tho :)

• DoubleHelixPS4DoubleHelixPS4 Posts: 110 Incredible

True I forgot about storage lol definitely important

• kbooker13kbooker13 Posts: 49 Mighty

The hulk is FANTASTIC for survivability, and probably provides the most value of any synergy. 6% health is a really big deal, especially at max level.

And hopefully when he becomes an Omega Prestige character that 6% turns into a 12%.

Angela (Omega)
    Beast (Omega)
    Black Cat (Omega)
    Spider Man (Omega)
    Hulk (Omega)
    Jean Grey (Omega)
    Magik (Omega)

@Peppi said:

Thanks

It's not glamorous but inventory space is the best thing you can buy. I maxed out my hero inventory on day one of open beta and have never regretted it. It's something you'll use every day, no matter what character you play.

I also recommend at least the first stash upgrade that's half price.

Buying characters with Gs is fine, I've done it myself because I was too impatient. o:) Just remember that they can all (eventually) be bought with splinters if you're on a limited budget.

Loot boxes are probably the last thing I would buy, honestly. I'm not an anti-loot box person, I buy them when I want a costume and I've had decent luck but people's experience with them varies wildly. I would only recommend spending money on them if 1) you absolutely have to have a costume to enjoy a character you want to play; or 2) you just want to blow a little money to support the game and don't have anything more important to buy.

"#NEVERJubilee"

Thanks to all for your input! Sounds like more space is the way to go. I didn’t realise you couldn’t buy costumes with g’s :/

@brad2240 said:

It's not glamorous but inventory space is the best thing you can buy. I maxed out my hero inventory on day one of open beta and have never regretted it. It's something you'll use every day, no matter what character you play.

Just to be clear, inventory is space your character has and stash is when you go to the set of drawers? Sorry to be so dumb lol

Figured it out... duhhhh haha

• RandomdriveRandomdrive Posts: 215 Amazing

@Peppi said:
    Thanks to all for your input! Sounds like more space is the way to go. I didn’t realise you couldn’t buy costumes with g’s :/

@brad2240 said:

Just to be clear, inventory is space your character has and stash is when you go to the set of drawers? Sorry to be so dumb lol

Yup. (But I guess you figured that out lol).

Also, there's currently a G sale (25% off) so that can be used to purchase inventory/stash. I doubt those will go directly on sale so this is probably the best we can do.

Here's my approach to buying heroes:

• I use Splinters to buy the 200 ES. There are several really good ones and doesn't take too long to get 200.
    • For the 900/500 heroes, I either buy it with Gs or wait to accumulate Splinters depending on how much I like hero and how impatient I am. Since you can't buy costumes directly using Gs, buying heroes is what you will probably spend it on.
    • For the 1450/900 heroes, I've bought them with Gs or in the Store. For me, it takes too long to get Splinters and I could purchase at least two heroes for one of these.

Anyway, I'm with @brad2240 in that I don't spend Gs on loot boxes except once. If you really like costumes, you're kind of forced to do it but, like any lottery system, do not expect much. You will get something, but the chances are you won't get what you want.

Finally, there's a thing called Omega Prestige. You can buy them in bundles in the store but they also sold them per hero for Gs (15000 IIRC). There's a lot of changes going on with OP, but it's another thing to spend Gs on. I probably will buy Hulk this way since I probably won't care about the costume.

Thanks @Randomdrive! Awesome break down of it all!!!

The only costume at this point that I really want is 90’s cyclops, so I’ll hang out until that is available again on ps4 and spend the rest on either space or maybe Jean grey as she is an expensive one that I need to have eventually :)

• PapaWahooPapaWahoo Posts: 6 New Agent

The only way i did it was melee build. 35 infnity points 4 synergies (cant remember who). I cant remember the ability, but he has a kick that allows him to move around while kicking. I would sg blast x2, prism, sg blast x2, and kick enemies arou d the edge while waiting for cooldowns, buff and my sig to pop.

@brad2240 said:

@Peppi said:

I have found that Cyclops's survivability is tied to his summons. Specifically, Magik gives you some protection and tanks for a little while, Iceman freezes enemies and Emma Frost taunts and CCs enemies. This all gives Cyke some much needed breathing room.

In the trials it's important to keep moving and that's hard for Cyclops because his beams generally root him in place to do damage. I would avoid using Focused Beam or Optic Beam for that reason. I found Ricochet Beam to work well, taking shots when I could. Most of your damage is going to come from your summons.

This also leaves Signature use in a tough spot since it roots you in place for 3 seconds. A trick you can do is to take the talent Optic Power in the second tier, this makes the Optic Devastation power stun enemies when fully charged. Use this before using your Signature so enemies won't kill you while channeling the Sig.

@Peppi said:

With each character you want to focus on their two primary attributes and pretty much ignore the rest. The minor benefits provided by the other stats are not worth the build space you'd devote to them. So for Cyclops you very much want his Energy and Intelligence stats to be higher, you're on the right track there.

Attributes alone won't carry a hero, though, you need to have some decent ratings in Critical Hit and Brutal Strike chance. As you're preparing for the Cosmic trial, I would say try to get roughly 1000-1500 in each of these. Critical Rating and Brutal Rating compete with Main Attributes for the same stat line on gear slots (meaning Weapon, Accessory, Upper, Lower and Utility slots) so you'll have to balance your equipment.

The first time I read this I was totally confused, but the more I play the game, the more all of this makes sense to me haha...